Tuesday, November 22, 2011

High School - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #45

Week #45 – High School. Describe your middle and/or high school. Was it a large or small student body? Is the school still in existence today? How has it changed since you went there?

My junior high school was a large two-story brick building that housed classes for grades 7-9. It was not air conditioned, with the exception of the band room and could be uncomfortably hot in the Florida heat. Two new schools were opened around the time I was attending junior high. One was north of my school and the other was to the south. As enrollment in the area declined a few years after I had graduated, it was decided to close my school and to divide the students between the other two schools.

My high school was built in 1972 and was only a year old when I started there. It was a modern looking white building and the classrooms were done in an open, modular style. There was a large cafeteria area in the center of the building with options for the standard school meals or a la carte items. There were around 1200 students in grades 10-12 when I started there and about 360 students in my graduating class. The school has been expanded and a football field was added, but it looks about the same from the outside and is still going strong.

This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

No comments:

Post a Comment