Saturday, April 21, 2012

Week 15 - Volunteers - 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy

Week #15Volunteers: Tell us about a volunteer you appreciate. What does this person do for the genealogical community? How has he or she touched your heart? This is your chance to show some love for those who selflessly give their time to family history.

I've been helped by a lot of volunteers over the years and they've been invaluable in locating information that is not online. The one that stands out the most to me is Vada Morr who was the Corresponding Secretary of the Mercer County Genealogy Society in Celina, OH for many years. I sent a query to the society just to see what information they might have available and how to go about accessing it. I received a large envelope in response with a letter from Vada. The envelope had obituaries for my ancestors, a family tree, and information on other documents that I would not have otherwise been able to find. I was very touched by her generosity in spending her time looking up and sending the information to me and I've seen many others mention her help. Thanks Vada!

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment