Sunday, September 27, 2015

Church Record Sunday - Honora Creedan Baptism in Clondrohid Parish, Ireland

I've been searching for my 2x great-grandfather Timothy Creeden's baptism record in the registers available on the National Library of Ireland site. From other records, I believe that Timothy was born in early 1846 and records for his siblings showed that they were baptized in Clondrohid Parish. Unfortunately, the NLI site shows that it only has 1846 records for November and December for Clondrohid. I've been searching through the nearby parishes, but so far haven't had any luck finding Timothy.

I decided to search for Timothy's siblings and quickly found a record for his older sister Julia. Finding his younger sister Hanora took a little more searching. I have a transcribed record that gives Honora's baptism date as August 6, 1848 in Clondrohid Parish, so started my search with August, 1848.

The first page that came up for August didn't have any trace for Hanora. In looking at the date, I wonder if this could be one of the missing pages for August 1846.


The next page for September also looked like it could be for 1846, as well as the page that followed for June.


Compare this to the second page tagged for September 1848, where the last number is definitely an 8.
Another page for August 1848 appeared a couple of pages down and this one looked like 1848. This is one of the harder to read pages, but I was able to make out the entry for Honora on August 6, 1848.
Hanora Creedan on Page 20, Microfilm 05003/01, Clondrohid Parish
The entry says that Hanora's parents were Pat Creedan and Mary Coakley. Witnesses were John Keeffee and Johanna Toomy and the location was Carrigapooca. Interesting to see John Keefe there, since a John Keefe and his wife Johanna Creedon were one of the other families that wound up in Clinton County, Ohio where my Creedens settled.

There are a few other Creedans on this page. At the bottom of the same page, I can't make out the date or child's name, but it also has the location of Carrgapooca. The parents are Daniel Riordan and Kate Creedan and one of the witnesses is Mary Creedan. The date above it is August 25.
Child of Daniel Riordan and Kate Creedan, August 1848, Clondrohid Parish
I'm finding that the Creedan spelling was used quite often in the Clondrohid records. Creedan also appears in the earlier records in Clinton County, Ohio, but most of them had changed the spelling to Creeden or Creedon by the 1880s.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful these records are online now? I've come across a few with seemingly out of order dates too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, yes, it's fantastic to see the actual records! I'm still holding out hope that Timothy is in there somewhere.

      Delete