Tuesday, January 4, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #1

This is the first challenge in a weekly series from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history. I'm just starting my blog, but thought I would join in!

Week 1: Did your family have any New Year’s traditions? How was the New Year celebrated during your childhood? Have you kept these traditions in the present day?! 

I grew up in a small neighborhood in Florida in the 60's and 70's. The neighborhood was just one street that looped around to form a block off of the main road. Everyone knew everyone back then and many of the original owners stayed in their houses for a long time. On New Years Eve, people often hosted parties on the block and we sometimes lit sparklers or small firecrackers around midnight. Some years we were inside by then and I can remember watching the ball drop in Times Square on TV.


On New Years Day, my Mom always made hoppin' johns or black eyed peas with our New Years meal for good luck. Can't say they were my favorite, but I always ate a few just in case! I think that's the only New Years tradition we've really kept to the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment