Friday, May 20, 2011

Fame - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #20

This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

Week #20 – Fame Week 20. Fame. Tell us about any local brushes with fame. Were you ever in the newspaper? Why? You may also describe any press mentions of your family members.

I don't think there's ever really been anyone famous in the family, but there have been a few mentions in the newspaper. During my school years, I was in the newspaper a few times for the Honor Roll and scholarships and I've found similar articles for both of my parents. I recently found a newspaper article about my father starring in a high school musical and another about my mother being honored for outstanding performance in the first Airline Secretarial class at Goldey College. I attended FSU when Ted Bundy attacked several students there and I was interviewed by my hometown paper. They printed an article with my quotes about how they had increased security at the school and everyone was being more cautious. This was in the awful period before they knew who had committed the crimes.

My great-grandfather Charles Creeden was in the papers in Celina and Lima, Ohio numerous times for his exploits while Sheriff of Mercer County and later as the town Postmaster. My great-uncle Julius Councill was in an article about a war memorial being erected in his honor and two others who had died in WWI and were from Queen Anne's, Maryland.

I worked at the Kennedy Space Center during the summers I was in college and got to watch Lee Majors film a few scenes at the Space Center for the Bionic Man. My father met several celebrities while working at the Space Center including Lloyd Bridges, John Denver, Sally Ride, and many other astronauts over the years. He asked Lloyd for an autograph and the only piece of paper my father had was his paystub, so we still have the paystub with Lloyd's autograph!

More recently, I met James Marsters at the FX Convention in 2009. He's a well known actor in the sci-fi community. Leonard Nimoy (Spock!) was at the autograph table next to James, so we saw him from a distance. Lindsey Wagner was also there, so I've seen both the Bionic Man and the Bionic Woman! 

No comments:

Post a Comment