Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nicknames - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #33

Week 33. Nicknames. What was your childhood nickname, and what was the meaning behind it? You can also discuss the nicknames of other family members, both past and present.

I had the common nickname of Kathy for Kathryn and sometimes was called Chatty Cathy by my father.  Growing up in the 60's and 70's, there were almost always 3 or 4 other girls named Kathy or Cathy in a class. I think variations on Kate are more common now than Kathy.

My father and grandfather had the same first name, so my father went by his middle name of Timothy, Tim, or sometimes Timbo. We used to call my great-grandmother Nanoo and my Mom's parents were Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop.  One of my great-grandfathers had the middle name of Acey and had no idea where it came from. My best guess is that it could have been a nickname for his grandfather Asa. The most unusual nickname I can think of in our family was one of my Mom's uncles that was known as Sug. I don't know where that one came from!

Updating to add that according to my Mom, her uncle Sug got the name because his mother used to call him "Sugar Baby"!. It is pronounced with an "sh" sound like sugar.

This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

No comments:

Post a Comment