Thursday, January 19, 2012

Free Online Genealogy Tools - 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy Week #3

Week 3 – Free Online Genealogy Tools: Free online genealogy tools are like gifts from above. Which one are you most thankful for? How has it helped your family history experience?

Rootsweb was one of the first genealogy sites that I used and it has been one of the most productive for me. I've made many contacts on their message boards that have led to new information and some good friendships. I have my Creeden Genealogy site posted on their freepages and I've done many searches on their site. This is a good reminder for me to take a look back at what they offer since I have to admit I haven't visited their site for awhile.

Another group of sites that I've made much use of is the USGenWeb Project and its state and county sites. There is a wealth of information available on the county sites that can't be found anywhere else, plus there are usually some volunteers that do look ups or answer questions about the local history. It's a great starting place when you add a new location to your tree.

FamilySearch.org is a site that I always check. It's worth redoing searches on their site to see what's new. I recently found information for deaths in Clinton County, Ohio that I hadn't seen online before.

If you have Irish ancestors, the Irish Genealogy site is definitely worth a look. They only have records for parts of some counties so far, but I'm hoping that they continue to make updates.

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment