Saturday, January 14, 2012

Paid Tools - 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy Week #2

Week #2 – Paid Online Genealogy Tools: Which paid genealogy tool do you appreciate the most? What special features put it at the top of your list? How can it help others with their genealogy research? 

The paid online site where I've gotten the most results is Ancestry.com. I've used their census, vital and military records, newspaper archives and family trees extensively. The message boards are also very useful for finding others researching the same names and places. I have alerts set up for message boards that I'm interested in and receive alerts if there is new information on my family trees.

While I don't have much of my family tree posted on their site, I've found it worthwhile to post a subset of my main trees. That allows people researching the same families to get in touch with me and Ancestry sends alerts to me if there is new information.

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment