Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 7 – Historical Documents - 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy Week #7

Week 7 – Historical Documents: Which historical document in your possession are you happy to have? How did you acquire this item? What does it reveal about your ancestors?

This question made me realize just how many documents I've acquired over the years. They include records for birth, marriage, death, baptism, land deeds, Social Security applications, census records and wills. More recently, I've traced a couple of ancestors through their military records. I've acquired some directly from the county courthouses and others from genealogy societies and cousins that live in the local areas. Some of them have revealed a new surname or date and some have revealed more personal information.

One of my favorite documents is the will of my great-great-grandfather, Timothy Creeden. I know so little about him and this document gives a little insight into his life. He names his wife and children as heirs and also leaves money for a new Catholic church to be built in Celina, Ohio. There are some interesting tidbits on money owed by a daughter and the restriction of only $35 being given to one son. The Mercer County Genealogy Society sent me the application for probate of the will filed by Timothy's wife Mary. That document listed the file number of the will in the courthouse and I was very fortunate to have a cousin who visited Celina and copied the will for me.


Transcription of the will is here.

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment