Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 6 – Family Heirlooms - 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy Week #6

Week #6 – Family Heirlooms: For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?

We're fortunate to have a few heirlooms in my family, including a necklace and ring from my step-grandmother, my great-grandfather's sheriff badge, a few trinkets from my maternal grandmother, and an oil painting that one of my great-grandmothers painted. If I had to choose one treasure though, it would be the photos we have from both of my parents' collections.

My father acquired most of his older photos from his grandmother. She labeled many of the photos which has been a great help in figuring out who's who. My father was an avid photographer, so my sister and I also have a large collection of the slides and movies he took throughout his life. I would guess my mother was given her photos by her mother.

My sister and I have been gradually getting my father's slides scanned in and I was thrilled to discover a photo of my great-grandmother Anna Creeden with a few of her paintings! My sister has the blue painting with the boats pictured on the right and I think that is the only one of her paintings to survive.

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment