Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fearless Females - Family Heirlooms

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.).

My step-grandmother Hilda gave my sister and me her engagement ring and a necklace. She didn't have children, so wanted to pass them on and we were really touched by her gesture.

I have a couple of small ceramic pieces and a decorative handkerchief pictured here that were my maternal grandmother's. They are just of sentimental value, but are nice to have. Another thing that I feel so fortunate to have are the family photos that have been passed down.

I also have my mother's wedding dress. It's not in the best of shape, so she was going to get rid of it. My Dad rescued it from a pile of things to go out in the trash and secretly gave it to me. I'm not really sure what to do with it, but it would be a shame to throw it out! If my Mom reads this, she'll know that her dress is still around. :)

==================================================================================
Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment