Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fearless Females - Social Butterfly

March 17 — Social Butterfly? What social organizations or groups did your mother or grandmother belong to? Sewing circle, church group, fraternal benefit society or lodge? Describe her role in the group.

I don't know if my mother's ancestors belonged to any social organizations. I remember my mother being involved with school activities as I grew up, but I don't think she belonged to any formal organizations. My father's family was involved in groups associated with their church. The newspaper clipping below lists my great-grandmother Anna Niehaus Creeden as an officer for the ladies auxiliary of the Knights of St. John in 1936. This group was affiliated with the Immaculate Conception Church in Celina, OH. Several of my father's female ancestors were members.


Late update: I found out that my mother was a member of Alpha Iota Sorority while she was at Goldey College!
=======================================================================================================
Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month..

No comments:

Post a Comment