Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fearless Females - Why Kathryn?

March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.

The name Kathryn is usually thought to derive from the Greek word for “pure.” There are many, many spelling variations and variants on the name.


My parents said they chose the name because it was the middle name of my maternal grandmother and my Dad's maternal grandmother. My grandmother was Edna Catherine Willis Councill and my Dad's maternal grandmother was Mary Katherine Gast Pulskamp. As for the spelling of my name, they said they just liked it! Since I've started researching my family tree, I've discovered several other Katherines, Catherines, and a Kate, but none with my spelling.

My parents must have really liked the name since they named my younger sister Karen. My sister and I were looking our names up in a book of baby names one day and when we got to Karen, it said, "Derived from Katherine". We had no idea that we essentially have the same name!

==================================================================================
Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment