Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fearless Females - Favorite Female Ancestor

Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

It would be hard to choose between my two grandmothers-- one I knew and one I didn't. I have always felt drawn to my father's mother Anna Lee Pulskamp Creeden since I never got to meet her and she is somewhat of a mystery. I know some facts about her, but don't know much about what she was like. She died tragically on December 2, 1934, a few days after my father's birth. She was born on June 11, 1910, so was only 24 years old when she died. She was married to my grandfather Robert Creeden on December 27, 1930.

My mother's mother was Edna Catherine Willis Councill. I remember her as a very sweet, shy lady who was always nice to everyone she met. My grandparents used to come visit us in Florida and we made some trips up to Pennsylvania and Delaware to visit them, but we didn't get to see them that often while I was growing up. She was born January 12, 1905 in Queen Anne's County, MD and died in May 1973 in New Castle, Delaware. She was married to Royce Rufus Councill on June 13, 1925 and they had four daughters. Since I started my genealogy searches on my father's line and have gathered more information on his family, I plan on concentrating most of these prompts on my mother's ancestors.

Goals:
  • Document what I already have
  • Document stories from my Mom and aunts 
  • Scan any photos I don't have online
  • Redo searches on Ancestry.com and other sites to see what's new

No comments:

Post a Comment