Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fearless Females - Working Girl

March 12 — Working girl: Did your mother or grandmother work outside the home? What did she do? Describe her occupation. 

My mother in DC in 1951
My mother worked at the Dupont Chemical Company during the summers while she was attending Goldey College in Wilmington, DE. After graduation from Business College, she moved to Washington DC and worked as a secretary for the NPA and Veterans Administration in the early 50's. She returned home and worked for General Chemical in Claymont, DE and then moved to Florida where she worked at the Patrick Air Force Base as an Executive Secretary. After marrying my Dad, she worked for NCR in Dayton, OH while my Dad finished college. She stayed at home when my sister and I were younger and then returned to work as a secretary when I was in high school in Florida.

My maternal grandmother worked in a factory doing sewing, along with a couple of her sisters. They had moved from Maryland to Lansdale, PA to find jobs. My grandparents met while working for this factory which is something I didn't know for the "Where They Met" prompt! I don't have any information on whether or not my father's mother worked outside the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment