Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fearless Females - Brick Walls

March 20 — Is there a female ancestor who is your brick wall? Why? List possible sources for finding more information.

My shortest tree so far is for my Adams line. I've only been able to trace this tree back to my gg-grandmother Ruth Edna Adams Willis on the female side. She was born around 1839 in Delaware and was married to William Martin Willis. There was a Mary Adams age 55 living with Ruth and William in the 1860 census, so that could possibly be her mother. In the 1850 census, there is a Ruth E. Adams born about 1836 living with another family. There is also a Mary and Margaret Adams, both age 47 in the 1850 census in a different county than where Ruth is living. Ruth lived in Delaware and Maryland, so I need to further investigate the sources for each county that she lived in. There is a lot of information on the Delaware and Maryland GenWeb sites that I haven't fully investigated yet.

My Creeden tree stops at Timothy Creeden, born in 1846 in Ireland. I don't even have a first name for his mother, so I think this is my toughest brick wall. I posted everything I've tried so far on this tree here:
My Irish Brick Wall

My female lines in Maryland all stop around the early 1800's. There is some extensive research on some of the family surnames in that area in the 1700's, but I have been unable to hook my family up to the earlier families so far. The lines that were researched left Maryland, while my families stayed there. That applies to my ancestors in Queen Anne's County, MD in the Councill, Meredith, Sparks, and Chilcutt families.

Sources for more information:
  • Organize what I already have to make sure I haven't missed anything
  • Redo searches on Ancestry, FamilySearch, and other sites to see what's new
  • Fully investigate sources on the GenWeb sites for counties they lived in
  • Investigate the Maryland archives available online
  • Investigate vital records for Maryland and Delaware
  • Post on the message boards
  • For my Irish line, keep up with the new records coming on line at the Irish Genealogy and the Roots Ireland sites. 
  • Investigate other Creedon families living nearby in Ohio.
=======================================================================================================
Once again, in honor of  National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month..

No comments:

Post a Comment