Monday, March 14, 2011

Fearless Females - Newsmakers

March 14 — Newsmakers? Did you have a female ancestor who made the news? Why? Was she famous or notorious? Did she appear in the social column?

We don't have any newsmakers in our family as far as I know, so I will feature someone with the same surname that has piqued my interest. Siobhan Creedon Lankford was born in 1894, Mourne Abbey, County Cork, Ireland to Patrick and Mary Creedon. Her memoir The Hope and the Sadness was published in 1980, but is now out of print. At the outbreak of World War I, Siobhan was working in the Mallow post office and joined the IRA as an intelligence officer. She was eventually dismissed from her position in the post office because of her intelligence work. The memoir recounts her childhood growing up on a small farm in Ireland with her Creedon family as well as her activities as a spy for the IRA. I am on the lookout for a copy of the book since I'd really like to read about her Creedon family in Ireland. As of now, it is not available and there are no libraries anywhere nearby that have a copy.

===============================================================================================
Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

3 comments:

  1. I’ve awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award! Please visit my blog at http://fantastic-electrisoil.blogspot.com/ to pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where you live, but I did a search on WorldCat and got a pretty extensive list of libraries where the book might be found. If none are nearby, you may be able to get the book through interlibrary loan at the very least.

    I checked half.com, but struck out. You might check the used book stores in your area - you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny! I had looked on WorldCat before, but it's always good to check back. I'm in Florida and the closest locations are Washington DC and Michigan! Our library here has discontinued interlibrary loans due to lack of funds. I also checked Abe's books, Amazon, Amazon UK, EBay, and a few other book sellers.

    Google books has it electronically, but only allows very limited searches on it due to copyright restrictions. That gives me hope that it may be available electronically at some point.

    ReplyDelete