Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday's Obituary - Godwin and Sparks

These death notices were published next to each other in the Easton Star on May 25, 1852.

  
In Spaniard's Neck, Q A co., on Wednesday last, Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Rob't Sparks.

Near Centreville, on Thursday last, Miss Arianna Godwin, daughter of Capt. Godwin, aged 17 years.

I posted yesterday about how intertwined some of my Queen Anne's County families were. Spaniard's Neck was a section of land in Queen Anne's County, Maryland. A section of Spaniard's Neck was owned by Daniel Sparks. Upon his death, the land passed to his children, Robert Sparks,  Martha Sparks (wife of George W. Meredith), Daniel B. Sparks, Samuel A. Sparks, and James H. Sparks. The land was sold in 1878.

Samuel A. Sparks was married to Susan Godwin and their daughter Ariana was my great-grandmother. I've seen the name Ariana (or Arianna) several times now in the Sparks and Godwin families.

I believe the Elizabeth Sparks named in the death notice may have been the sister-in-law of my Samuel Sparks. I'm not sure yet how Arianna Godwin fits into my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment