Sunday, January 28, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 4 - Invite to Dinner

This week's 52 Ancestors prompt is "Invite to Dinner." Which ancestor would you most want to invite to dinner? Do you have a story of a memorable dinner with an ancestor? Is there a special recipe that's been handed down? 


I remembered doing a similar prompt back in 2011 for the Fearless Females series, so I took a look back to see what I said then: "While we're fantasizing, the special guest of honor would be my gg-grandfather's mother from Ireland so that she could tell us where she comes from, her and her husband's names and if Timothy had any siblings!"

I still think my 3x great-grandmother would be an interesting dinner guest since I know so little about her and her family. She's not the complete mystery that she was in 2011 though. I know now that she was Mary Coakley and she was married to my 3x great-grandfather Patrick Creedan. She had at least three children with Patrick: Julia, born in 1842, my 2x great-grandfather Timothy, born in 1846, and Hanora, born in 1848.

From Timothy's obituary, Mary died when Timothy was only 3 years old, so sometime between March 1849 and March 1850. Patrick had already come to Ohio and was working on a farm. He sent for Timothy and Julia, but there was no mention of Hanora.

Julia and Hanora were both baptized in Clondrohid, County Cork, Ireland and their address was given as Carrigapooka. So, I can answer most of the questions from my 2011 post, but now of course I'd like the same questions answered for Mary and Patrick!

#52Ancestors is a series of weekly family history prompts developed by Amy Johnson Crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment