Saturday, February 19, 2011

Technology - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #8

This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

Week #8 – Technology Week 8: Technology.  What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology to you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid?

The biggest technological advance during my childhood has to be landing on the moon in 1969. I grew up on the Florida Space Coast and many of my friend's parents worked at the Kennedy Space Center. My Dad worked for NASA and was very involved in the Apollo program. The Saturn V launches were incredibly loud and used to rattle the windows in our house for several minutes. It was an exciting time!


Other advances I remember are the transition to color TV, engineers grudgingly changing from using slide rules to calculators, phones going from having dials to push buttons, and of course, computers. In Florida, many of our schools and stores did not have air conditioners when I was growing up. Hard to imagine now! And yes, we sweated a lot back then!


Today, I enjoy the use of the internet on my own PC, cordless phones, my HD TV, my iPod, and having a CD player and A/C in my car. One technology I tend to avoid is the advances in cell phones. I own one, but still use it mainly as a phone!


No comments:

Post a Comment