Sunday, June 19, 2011

Books - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #23

Books. What was your favorite book, or who was your favorite author from your childhood? What do you like to read now? Books or other formats? This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

In elementary school, I was addicted to mysteries and my first favorites were the Nancy Drew series. Another favorite was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis. I continued to read mysteries and sci-fi/fantasy books throughout school and the standout books were The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I do read a bit online, but my favorite format for reading is still a book. I'm tempted to buy a Kindle or other e-book reader, but haven't bought one yet.

An ongoing favorite is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. The books are a mix of historical fiction, fantasy involving time travel, and romance. I discovered them after a trip to the UK in the early 90's and little did I know that the series would last this long. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, but there are now seven books in the series with more to come. The series starts out going between post WWII and the 1700's in the Scottish Highlands and later moves to America. While I loved the first three books in the series, I found the later books to be overly long and not as interesting. Still, she has me hooked to find out the ending and the resolution to a mystery that was introduced in the first book.

Another series I've enjoyed are the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher. These are about a modern day wizard that solves unusual cases in Chicago.  My most recent book purchase is something completely different: Toward the Flame by Hervey Allen. It's a memoir of the author's experiences in WWI and involves the same division that my great-uncle served in.

No comments:

Post a Comment