Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clothes - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #24

Week #24. Clothes. What types of clothes did you wear as a child? What was “in fashion” and did your style compare? This is a weekly challenge from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy history.

I don't think I was ever on the cutting edge of fashion, but I did wear what was in style for the times. Growing up in the 70's, my wardrobe included jeans with bell bottoms, hairbands, shirts in hideous patterns, Keds sneakers and Earth shoes! I had the long straight hair parted down the middle that was popular at the time and later more of a Farrah Fawcett cut with layers.

At the end of my teenage years, I was in college and disco was at its height. We all had shirts with metallic threads for going out on the town, but still mainly wore jeans. By the time I started working in the early 80's, the power suits with the big shoulder pads were in style. The guys always wore dress shirts and ties back then, but the workplace has gotten much more casual since I started. Now it's common to see people wearing jeans any day of the week.  The other "in fashion" clothes I remember having in the 80's were leotards and leg warmers for working out.

I guess you know you're getting older when you start to recognize some of the current styles from your past. Bell bottoms and shoulder pads seem to come and go. The platform shoes that are popular today look a lot like the ones that were popular when I was a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment