Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday's Tip - My Source Box from FamilySearch

I just recently noticed the new My Source Box feature at https://www.familysearch.org/ and spent a few moments trying it out. This feature gives you a way to save the source info for records of interest and return back to them. You have to be signed in to use the feature, but registration is free.

Once you've located a record of interest, a menu appears in the upper right for My Source Box. Clicking "Add to My Source Box" saves the source info and a link to the record. Also on the menu is "Go to My Source Box". Clicking on this takes you to a screen where you can view and manage the info you have saved.

Folders can be created to organize your data and sources can be moved into the folders. One thing I didn't see is a way to save a source directly into one of my folders, so it looks like you have to save a source and then move it. There is also an option to create your own source that allows you to save web links or whatever information you want.

Clicking on an individual source expands the info for that source and allows you to View, Copy, or Remove the source or return to the record. Clicking on View takes you to a screen for the source where you can add and save your own notes to the source record.

I appreciate any tools that help keep me better organized, so My Search Box looks like a nice addition to FamilySearch.

No comments:

Post a Comment