Saturday, March 9, 2013

Fearless Females - Family Document

March 9 — Take a family document (baptismal certificate, passenger list, naturalization petition, etc.) and write a brief narrative using the information.


This is a marriage license for the marriage of Hannah Creedon and Richard Egan on February 14, 1899 in Clinton County, Ohio. I don't know if Hannah is directly related to my Creeden family from Clinton County, but I thought the record was interesting for a few reasons.

The first thing that caught my eye was that Hannah's place of birth is listed as the Atlantic Ocean! As I was typing the date, I realized that they got married on Valentine's Day. Hannah is 34 in 1899, so that would indicate that her family came to the US in 1865. According to another researcher's notes, her parents Timothy and Hanora were married in 1854 in Clondrohid Parish in County Cork, Ireland. This is the same parish that my Creeden family is from and the spelling of Creedan seemed to be common in this family too. The notes also indicated that Timothy died on the ship, as well as his son Daniel.

So, here is another Creedon family with ties to Clondrohid that settled in Clinton County, Ohio. I gathered a lot of information on this family that needs further investigation, so I am adding that to my "To Do" list.

Once again, in honor of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The Atlantic Ocean as her birthplace! That's pretty awesome. How sad though that her dad and brother died on the same ship she was born on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jana, that's the first time I've seen the Atlantic Ocean as a birthplace for a Creedon! The deaths must have been very sad for the family and Hannah's mother would have landed here with a new baby and other children to take care of by herself.

    ReplyDelete