Friday, March 8, 2013

Follow Friday - Favorite Finds for March 8, 2013

Here are a few of my favorite finds for the past week:

  • Wordle.net has a fun site you can use to create a graphic like the one above. You can create the graphic from a block of text or a link to a web page. The more common a word is in your text, the larger it appears in the graphic. I saw Wordle used on Julie Tarr's GenBlog which has many tips and tricks for genealogists. 
  • Dick Eastman posted about Thomas Tryniski's Fulton History site which has access to more than 21,790,000 old New York State historical newspaper pages. The FAQ contains info on using the site. I don't have any New York ancestors that I know of, but I tried a few searches for my Ireland locations and found articles as far back as 1843.
  • Northern New York Historical Newspapers is another free site with digitized newspapers for New York.
  • Heather Kuhn Roelker of Leaves for Trees tackled my problem with not being able to remove image frames from my blog posts. We discovered that Blogger has different options for different templates, so if her tip doesn't work for your blog, you may have to edit the HTML as suggested here. Be sure and back up your template first. Thanks Heather! No more frames!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Kathryn! We'll get rid of those pesky frames if the kill us!

    ReplyDelete