Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fearless Females - Favorite Photo

March 2 — Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?


This was taken in the late 1920s or early 1930s and shows my grandmother Anna Lee Pulskamp and her twin sister Emma Lee on either side of a mystery woman. The twins lived in Celina, Ohio and this may have been taken at the lake near there. I chose this picture since I always enjoy photos of the twins and I love a good mystery. My first guess for the mystery woman's identify would be their mother Mary Catherine Gast Pulskamp, but is that a nurse's cap on her head? As far as I know, Mary was not a nurse. If anyone can identify her, please let me know! The full photo is pictured below.


Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting her Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month series in honor of National Women’s History Month.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely looks like a nurse's uniform to me or some type of service uniform (like maid or house cleaner). The mystery woman seems to be very close to the girls since she is physically touching both of them. I concur that it seems like a "motherly" pose. But if not, could it be a close aunt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she seems close to the girls. An aunt is certainly a possibility. I'm going back through my notes and pictures to see if I can find a match. I'll post an update if I do!

      Delete
  2. Could she have been a nanny? A housekeeper? Maybe that's a scarf, not really a cap, per se.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, those are good ideas. I know that their mother worked in a shop for many years, but I don't know what kind. Maybe it was some kind of uniform they wore? We will figure this out eventually! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete