Sunday, April 21, 2013

Census Sunday - Double Entry in the 1940 Census

I posted last Wednesday about my great-grandfather Charles Creeden's career as Postmaster of Celina, Ohio. I realized that I hadn't thought to check the 1940 census to see if it showed his occupation.


The 1940 census for Celina, Ohio shows Charles, his wife Anna, and grandson Robert Jr. living in Celina, Ohio and shows Charles' occupation as Post Master. Robert Jr. is my father and I knew that he lived with Charles and Anna, so that wasn't a surprise. I was surprised though to see a second entry for my father!


The 1940 census entry above shows my grandfather Robert, step-grandmother Hilda, and once again my father Robert. I wonder if he just happened to be there when the census taker came around. Another surprise was my grandfather's occupation being given as a Dealer of Live Stock. I had never heard that before.


The final surprise was that Charles' brother Dan Creeden was Manager of a Filling Station in Celina. I wonder if it is the same Filling Station that Charles was managing before his appointment as Postmaster. I lucked out by finding a news article about the station when Charles was managing it, but haven't found anything so far on Dan's station.

Sources:
  • Robert Creeden: Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Celina, Mercer, Ohio; Roll: T627_3114; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 54-15.
  • Charles Creeden: Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Celina, Mercer, Ohio; Roll: T627_3114; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 54-19.
  • Dan Creeden: Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Celina, Mercer, Ohio; Roll: T627_3114; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 54-18.
  • Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T627, 4,643 rolls.
Census Sunday is a daily blogging prompt suggested by Colleen Pasquale of Leaves and Branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment