Saturday, April 27, 2013

Surname Saturday - Acy

This will be one of my shorter surname posts since I can find out so little about the Acy surname. In fact, I'm not even completely sure that it is a surname since it only occurs as a middle name in my family.

My great-grandfather's full name was Charles Acy Creeden. He usually signed documents as Charles A. Creeden, so I've only found the name in writing in a couple of places. Before finding the index to the Mercer County, Ohio birth records, I had thought the name was spelled Acey.

The entry above is from a Mercer County, Ohio report of births and the one below is from the Probate Court records. Both clearly show Charles' middle name as Acy, although one has his birth date as November 10 and the other shows November 5. His obituary and headstone both say November 5, so that is probably the correct date.


I could find very few Acys or Aceys in the Ohio census and none in Clinton or Mercer counties where the family lived. The Ancestry.com message boards only have a few entries for the names and the origin seems to be Yorkshire, England. There is one mention of an Acey coming from County Cork, Ireland where Charles' father Timothy was born.

My Dad asked Charles where the name came from and he didn't know. This one may remain a mystery.

Sources:
  • "Ohio, County Births, 1841-2003," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VNWF-3XC : accessed 27 Apr 2013), Charles Acy Creeden, 1886.
  • "Ohio, County Births, 1841-2003," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VN7J-JZY : accessed 27 Apr 2013), Charles Acy Creeden, 1887.

No comments:

Post a Comment